This version of Zul'Gurub is quite similar to the old version--the scenery hasn't changed much and some of the old bosses remain. Fortunately for you, there's a lot less trash and a lot more neutral Gurubashi trolls milling about. Two new mounts are available: Raptor Razzashi Corazzato
and Pantera Zuliana
. There's even some mini-bosses, listed under Cacciatore di Teste Gurubashi
, that drop trade goods--even Cristallo del Maelstrom
Before You Start: Quest Summaries
Don't forget to go into the dungeon with some objectives! In addition to the faction-specific quest chain featured on our 4.1 guide
that culminates in Qualcosa di buono
rewarding a Cucciolo di Pantera
, there's a variety of quests offered as soon as you step foot in Zul'Gurub.
Read the next tabs to the right for specific strategies on how to beat these buffed up trolls!
This fight involves a lot of concentration spent on movement since the area will be covered with a poison maze, made up of green lines, that keeps growing. For each second standing in that
you will take immense damage, so you need to avoid it at all times. Pick up the Tormento Tossico
buff from Calderone del Tormento Tossico
to gain initial advantage.Phase 1: Humanoid Form
Phase 2: Serpent Form
- Venoxis will frequently use Sussurri di Hethiss, channeling a green beam at a random player. This should be interrupted.
- A Legame Tossico will be also frequently used to link two random players to each other, however it seems to never affect the tank. Run away from each other to break the link, but stay away from party members as the broken link will erupt in a which deals AoE damage.
- This phase is initiated by Venoxis transforming into a serpent using the . He will no longer use his abilities from the first phase, but receive new ones as well as an increase of 100% in physical damage dealt.
- Immediately drag him off the green Pozza di Lacrime Acide he summons before and after his Breaths. These will deal massive damage to you, so keeping your eye on the ground is crucial to survival.
- Venoxis frequently uses Alito di Hethiss which will hit anyone in a wide and 10 yard long frontal cone. If you stand in these for longer than a second, you're dead. Tanks, you will need to move as well.
- At the end of the serpent phase he will walk to his altar and channel , summoning three Bloodvenom Tendrils. These tendrils will target a random player and follow after them, dealing massive damage to anyone close. Here you should stack up in one corner at the beginning and run together, so you do not lead your tendril into someone else.
- After Bloodvenom, Venoxis will suffer from Astinenza Venefica, stunning him and making him take 100% more damage for 10 seconds. Then he will transform into his humanoid form and start phase 1 again.
- If you keep dying in the second phase, consider stopping melee DPS entirely and just concentrate on running through the maze until he does Bloodvenom.
, after his unintended resurrection, too has returned as the second boss in Zul'gurub
. He and his faithful raptor Ohgan
have leveled up and now proudly await you to gain more levels!
- The fight still resembles the original encounter in some ways. You will face-off against Mandokir and his raptor Ohgan, and you will have a number of 8 Chained Spirits at your disposal, each one granting you an one-time resurrection which also buffs Mandokir. Fortunately for Mandokir and his raptor and unfortunately for you, Ohgan has learned to kill these spirits.
- Mandokir will often perform Emosuzione on a random player, draining 50% of the target's current health every 2 seconds for 10 seconds. The healer will need to heal that player very quickly after the spell is over.
- Mandokir starts the fight mounted on his raptor, but once he dismounts he will start using Contusione Devastante. This will let spikes shoot up from the ground in a cone, inflicting massive damage to anyone standing there. If you see red ground, get out of it! Try not to waste your rezzes on this ability.
- Decapitazione is an instant-kill ability that you can't avoid, but fortunately Mandokir won't be doing it too often. If you still have Chained Spirits available, these will offer you a resurrection.
- After dismounting, his raptor Ohgan will immediately run towards the Chained Spirits. You have two ways to deal with this: either slowing Ohgan by using all possible stuns and snares, or killing him, thus putting him down for several seconds. This won't last long—Mandokir will Rianima Ohgan after a short time.
- At 20%, Mandokir will enrage into an undispellable Frenesia, making his attack speed 100% faster. Use whatever cooldowns you have available.
- Each time a player dies, Mandokir will Nuovo Livello, increasing his damage dealt by 20%. The buff stacks.
The Edge of Madness is a special event accessible only by players with high Archeologia
. The player will need to click on numerous troll, fossil, night elf, and dwarven artifacts, discovering four that require closer examination. These artifacts will fly into the air and merge to summon one of four bosses: Hazza'rah
, and Gri'lek
. The bosses are stationary with a few twists.
High Priestess Kilnara
- Renataki, a troll rogue, periodically casts Imboscata and , a version of Ventaglio di Lame on steroids. Run out of his whirlwinding path until he is done attacking.
- Hazza'rah, a troll shaman, summons adds via Incubo. These adds target a player and stun them with Incubo Vivente. If the add reaches the targeted player, it will use Consumo Anima and kill the player.
- Wushoolay, a troll elemental shaman, casts several lightning abilities you must move away from Players close to must run away to avoid being killed. Also avoid the and .
- Gri'lek, a troll berserker, is a typical melee mob that periodically targets a player. When this happens, he grows in size, deals more damage, and moves noticeably slower. He does an emote when targeting a player, so everyone has time to move. Avoid his tremor and dispel roots.
is the new 'panther' boss in Zul'gurub
. She succeeds Gran Sacerdotessa Arlokk
in her function as a high priest of Bethekk.
StrategyPhase 1: Humanoid Form
Pride of Bethekk
- Kilnara will mainly cast throughout phase 1. This spell is interruptable and should be interrupted.
- Both and Lacrime di Sangue will also be frequently cast. While you can interrupt the Tears of Blood static AoE channel (purple flecks floating towards the ground), you cannot interrupt Lash of Anguish.
- Another visible ability that cannot be interrupted is Onda dell'Agonia, where Kilnara will channel a huge purple wave wall. If you fail to get behind her, you will be knocked back far and suffer shadow damage.
- She will also cast which cannot be avoided. Simply heal through it.
Before the fight, you will notice four packs with four Fiera di Bethekk
each in Sopore Oscuro
. It is your goal to kill these before you bring Kilnara to 50%. You have the option of pulling a full pack with your tank and Kilnara in his tow, which is fast; or having your DPS pull a panther one by one while your tank occupies Kilnara, which is slow. If you do not kill these before Kilnara reaches 50%, you will have to fight the ones left alive. To awake a panther, simply directly attack one or drop a Ratto del Tempio
nearby. Temple Rats
can be looted inside of the Altar of Bethekk.Phase 2: Panther Form
- At 50% health Kilnara will receive a Benedizione Primordiale, transforming into the Avatar di Bethekk. She will also start gaining Rabbia degli Antichi, stacking every 5 seconds, and the temple will Crollo, dealing damage to everyone. Any panthers you haven't killed by now will intervene in the fight.
- Kilnara will also use Devastazione, dealing damage to a single target and , dealing AoE damage.
- At around 15%, she will briefly go into Mimetizzazione to irritate your party, and then reappear.
has returned as the second-to-last boss in Zul'gurub
, occupying the former space of Jin'do il Malefico
. To defeat him, you must utilize three different cauldrons which counteract his various abilities.
Jin'do the Godbreaker
- This fight is very dynamic. Note the three cauldrons from which you will get specific buffs to counter Zanzil's attacks lying around the room.
- Zanzil regularly casts on a random player which cannot be avoided. Simply heal though it. He also uses which should be interrupted.
- He will also cast Fuoco Zanzili frequently, creating a bright line of arcane magic that deals severe damage to anyone standing in it.
- One of the random special spells Zanzil will use against you is Gas Tombale di Zanzil. The entire area will be floode with green gas, and you should immediately get Tormento Tossico from the green cauldron to survive.
- Another special ability is Elisir di Resurrezione di Zanzil. This will resurrect one Berserker Zanzili on which you will have to focus while having him taking massive damage and stunned by Formula del Gelo Intenso from the blue cauldron.
- When Zanzil uses Elisir di Resurrezione di Zanzil to raise his Zanzili Zombies, have your tank pick up Sangue Bruciante from the red cauldron and aggro the zombies. AoE them down and have the DPS pick up Burning Blood as well to speed things up. Remember that Burning Blood will also damage friendly players, so be sure to heal your party.
, returned from death, is the last boss of Zul'gurub
. He is eager to meet you, or in his own words: I'm attacking ya, yo!
StrategyPhase 1: Reality
Phase 2: Irreality
- Throughout this phase, Jin'do will summon a Zona Morta several times. Have the tank pull Jin'do immediately out of it, but be ready to go in yourself when he starts casting Ombre di Hakkar to take less magic damage. Otherwise, your party should stay outside since it reduces your casting speed and ultimately, damage done to Jin'do.
- Deadzone is closely tied to Shadows of Hakkar. When you see him channeling Shadows of Hakkar, go into the Zona Morta, but keep him out after he has finished his cast. Once his Ombre di Hakkar buff runs out, he will create a new Deadzone you need to drag him out of.
- After a short time, Jin'do will Sparizione, and you enter the Mondo degli Spiriti. The goal is to destroy the three Catene di Hakkar, each protected by a Barriera Energetica.
- While your party members split up and position themselves near chains, your tank will need to pull a Spirito Gurubashi, and have him Impatto Corporeo at one of the chains. Once that chain's barrier is broken, the party member should move to another chain. Keep doing this for the rest of the chains, and then finish the spirits off. Then destroy each chain one by one.
- Throughout the phase, Twisted Spirits will keep appearing and pose a nuisance to your party. They can be soloed one-on-one, but you will be overrun if you face too many. Have your ranged DPS pick them off from a distance or have the tank taunt to avoid healers getting aggro. If you keep dying to too many spirits, consider killing the Gurubashi Spirit once he destroys a barrier, and destroy that chain, AoEing down the adds in the process. Repeat this for each chain.
- Black/purple spikes flying through the air are caused by Aculeo dell'Ombra from whose impact you need to stay away. These deal huge damage especially if you stand in the purple void zones.
Zul'Aman, now a 5-player dungeon, still holds many challenges for players with difficult trash and the timed run. Players will be happy to find that the fun aspects of Zul'Aman remain--namely the Bacchetta Malefica degli Amani
that spawned a variety of colorful NPCs, dancing trolls, and of course a new Orso da Battaglia Amani
. We'll cover tips and tricks on how to successfully complete a timed Zul'Aman run later, but for now, acquaint yourself first with the new mechanics and quests.
Before You Start: Quest Summaries
Make sure you go in knowing what quests to do. Here's a brief rundown:Akil'zon
, the first boss of the instance, calls upon eagles to attack your party. He has a few new tricks from his original version. To reach Akil'zon
, players must defeat a gauntlet of shamans and eagles.
- New to the encounter is the Sequestratore Amani, an eagle that will periodically seize a party member, casting Sequestro. The party, including the seized player, should switch to kill the Amani Kidnapper and free the player.
- Akil'zon once again casts on the tank and on random players, which stacks but can be removed. Spread out to avoid hitting the party with the AOE and use nature resistance to decrease the damage taken.
- When is cast, the targeted player will be suspended in the air and shoot an electrical storm across the entire platform. The party should group up underneath the targeted player to avoid taking damage.
, the second boss in the instance, has abilities reminiscent of a feral druid and turns into a bear. Large and hard-hitting groups of trolls and warbears guard his altar.
- In phase 1, the troll phase, Nalorakk casts Assalto Brutale on the tank.
- He also uses Impeto Improvviso on the player the farthest away from him. He will use this ability three times before transitioning. It helps to have a ranged dps and healer alternate the surges. You may want to consider using three different soakers depending on the personal defensive cooldowns of your party.
- In phase 2, he turns into a bear. He casts on the tank and Ruggito Assordante on the party.
is a forest troll who guards two sets of dragonhawk eggs on his altar. The key to beating Jan'alai is avoiding the fire on the ground while controlling the number of eggs to hatch at once.
- Jan'alai casts in the direction of a random player. This is easily avoidable, especially if you stay close to his hit box.
- Periodically, Jan'alai will cast Bomba di Fuoco. These orange bombs will spawn haphazardly from the center of the room and explode several seconds later, leaving large gaps where players can safely stand and continue to fight.
- Jan'alai will Evocazione: Incubatore Amani'shi, NPCs which will run to the sets of eggs at either side of the altar and begin to hatch them until they are killed. The hatched Cucciolo di Dragofalco Amani, which cast Folata delle Fiamme, should be AOEd down and dps should watch aggro. It is advisable to have several waves of Hatchlings instead of letting them all spawn at once at any time during the encounter.
is the last of the four bosses needed to successfully completed the timed bear run. He drops hostile totems and calls upon the power of the lynx for aid.
Hex Lord Malacrass
- In the troll phase, Halazzi drops Totem dell'Acqua which buffs the boss with Flusso Ristoratore. This totem can be killed; however, you can also move the boss away from the green healing circle and continue to focus dps. If you stand in Refreshing Stream, you too will be granted a steady amount of health and mana, which can help dps and healing. He also casts Rabbia.
- At 66% and 33%, Halazzi will summon Spirito della Lince and heal to 100%. DPS should switch to the Spirit of the Lynx and group up to maximize dps, as the Spirit of the Lynx does not have traditional aggro and will attack random players. It will also cast Squarciarmatura and Raffica della Lince which can be especially rough on cloth dps. Depending on your group composition, DPS can switch to kill the Totem del Fulmine Corrotto before it does extreme amounts of damage--once the Spirit of the Lynx has died, the DPS will go back to Halazzi. Or if you have strong healing and have chosen to keep the Water Totems up, ignore the Spirit of the Lynx and stay on the boss. Eventually, the Spirit of the Lynx will despawn.
, a witch doctor, is the second-to-last boss within Zul'Aman. He is flanked by two random adds, which can be CCed and ignored for the duration of the fight. Malacrass'
trick is that he will mimic player abilities to gain temporary new power. As the fight continues, he will slowly gain strength while reducing that of the party.
- Depending on the two adds, you can CC them or interrupt their abilities. These adds will be drawn from a pool of: Cuortetro, Inseguitore delle Paludi, Gazakroth, Koragg, Sire Raadan, Striscior, and Thurg.
- He will alternate between hurling Dardi Spirituali at the party, a fairly strong AOE, and channeling Aspirazione dell'Anima. As the fight drags on, you will get high stacks of Prosciugamento Potenza, making Malacrassharder to kill.
- Use common sense when dealing with all of the temporary player abilities. Interrupt heals, run away from cleaves, and remove debuffs.
is the warlord of the Amani tribe and successor to Zul'jin. This fight is very similar to the lvl 70 Zul'jin encounter, in that it draws upon the power of various animal avatars for separate phases. However, there are only three phases in 4.1, instead of five.
- In the first phase, Daakara casts Turbine and , for which the player must be healed in order to be removed. Melee dps that eat a whirlwind while afflicted with Grievous Throw may find themselves dead quickly. At 80% and 40%, Daakara transforms into two of the four remaining avatars at random.
- In Sembianze dell'Aquila, Daakara creates an Tempesta di Energia and casts Evocazione: Ciclone that players must dodge. Players that run into cyclones will be hit by . Be sure to kill the Totem del Fulmine to prevent additional damage from going out. As part of Energy Storm all spells cast will deal damage to the caster--healers must be smart about deciding when to heal, as they will take additional damage when doing so.
- In Sembianze dell'Orso, Daakara casts Paralisi Progressiva which can be followed up with a nasty Impeto Improvviso, as well as Attacco Quasi Superpotente on the tank. Creeping Paralysis and the stun can both be dispelled.
- In Sembianze del Dragofalco, Daakara creates Colonna di Fuoco and periodically casts Turbinio Fiammeggiante and . All players must remain alert and constantly avoid fire.
- In Sembianze della Lince, Daakara spawns two adds that can quickly destroy a player if they are not killed quickly, between and . The tank should taunt during Claw Rage to split the damage taken.