The war between the Horde and Alliance continues in Azeroth, but there are additional dark forces at work. To provide you with more insights for what lies ahead, Game Director Ion Hazzikostas was joined by designers Jeremy Feasel, and Ryan Shwayder.
The Road Ahead
The release of each expansion is its own chapter in the ongoing story of Azeroth. With Battle for Azeroth, we’re just at the beginning of our journey and much like the content release schedule for Legion, Battle for Azeroth will provide a series of both large and small content updates to take you on that journey while providing a steady stream of content and focusing on systems and rewards.
Here’s a quick recap of what’s in store for the next content update currently on the Public Test Realm.
Tides of Vengeance Content Update
- New Warfront: Battle for Darkshore: In the ashen shadow of Teldrassil, the night elves strike back against the Forsaken to reclaim their ancestral homeland in an all-new co-op Warfront. In between battles, discover what awaits in a new version of the Darkshore zone reshaped by the fires of war.
- Horde and Alliance Assaults: As war spreads across Azeroth, defend Kul Tiras and Zandalar from the enemy faction’s invading forces in Assaults throughout Battle for Azeroth’s outdoor zones. Sabotage the enemy airship, take out the commander, and earn loot and Artifact power to prepare for new conflicts.
- New Island Expeditions: New islands Jorundall and Havenswood add more variety, and new events and activities like Azerite ruptures and Azerite extractors deepen the gameplay.
- New Raid: Battle for Dazar’alor: War crashes upon the shores of Zandalar in a new 9-boss raid in the Zandalari trolls’ capital. Battle Horde and Alliance leaders such as High Tinker Mekkatorque and King Rastakhan in faction-themed encounters. You’ll also participate from the other faction’s perspective.
- The War Campaign Continues
- New Heritage Armor for Blood Elves and Dwarves
- Tides of Vengeance Systems Updates
- Azerite Armor Improvements
- Dubloon vendor
- Improved Emissary rewards
- Alt Reputation quality-of-life
- Warfront quest structure
- PvP Talent Reworks
- War Mode bonus changes
Tides of Vengeance is set to release on December 11, 2018.
After the main content of Tides of Vengeance rolls out, we’ll have more content to share in a minor content update to follow, including:
New Allied Races
Players will be able to earn their way toward gaining two new Allied races - the Zandalari Trolls and Kul Tiran Humans.
Enemies attack on their borders as well as unrest on the council threatens the foundation of the kingdom. By returning stability to Zandalar, the heroes of the Horde can gain this powerful new ally.
Their racial abilities lean heavily on their love of the Loa and dinosaurs.
- Regeneratin’- Concentrate to heal quickly over a short time.
- Embrace the Loa- Pray to Loa and gain their favor.
- City of Gold- Loot additional coin from monsters.
- Pterrodax Swoop- Call upon a pterrodax to glide to the ground.
Available classes: druid, hunter, mage, monk, paladin, priest, rogue, shaman, warrior.
Their druid forms are also heavily influenced by the dinosaurs they live with. They will be in full Zandalari style in their own heritage armor as they ride their new dinosaur mount – of course.
Kul Tiran Humans
One of the most interesting human cultures we’ve encountered, the Kul Tirans are fearless explorers, capable seafarers and incredible shipwrights. Their skills and fortitude will be vital for overcoming Sylvanas’ Horde.
Their racial abilities reflect the Kul Tiran spirit of adventure and love of the sea. Here where their racials stand right now, but we’ll be looking for your feedback once they make it to the PTR.
- Haymaker – Punch an enemy, stunning and knocking them back.
- Brush it Off – Increase versatility and regenerate damage.
- Jack of all Trades – Increases skill in all trade skills.
- Child of the Sea – Hold your breath longer and swim faster.
- Rime of the Ancient Mariner – Resistant to frost and nature damage.
Available classes: druid, hunter, monk, priest, rogue, shaman, warrior
Druids forms will also be specialized for this new Allied Race and their appearance are inspired by the Drust. Of course, everyone needs a noble steed and there’s no nobler than the horses from the Kul Tiran stables. This new Allied Race will look sharp in their heritage armor as they travel Azeroth.
The Darkmoon Faire’s New Ride
Silas Darkmoon like every great amusement park tycoon is always looking for new ways to get more visitors to the Darkmoon Faire. Realizing there was something missing from his island he’s adding a roller coaster. You’ll be able to experience it first hand assuming his engineers can get all the kinks worked out.
We love our holidays as much as you do and it’s been a while since we made updates to many of them, so we’re working to update many of them over time. We’re starting with Children’s Week and have added questlines for both Zandalari and Kul Tiran orphans. We’re also adding a few new micro-holidays to the calendar including: The Wanderer’s Festival, Vash’jir Diving, and maybe a T-Shirt Day to celebrate all things t-shirt with your fellow enthusiasts. We’re still sorting that one out, but it will be awesome.
Timewalking Expands to Warlords of Draenor
We’re also expanding our Timewalking Dungeon offerings to include Warlords of Draenor. You’ll be able to take on Auchindoun, Bloodmaul Slag Mines, Shadowmoon Burial Grounds, Skyreach, Iron Docks, and The Everbloom once more and collect some maximum level rewards and even a couple of new mounts.
To help travelers find their way to all the places their adventures take them throughout Azeroth, we’re introducing portal rooms within Orgrimmar and Stormwind. These will serve as a hub for all the various portals that heroes are sent through. We’ll be starting small at first and integrating some of the more important places. We’re building in such a way that we can add to the portal room in the future without having to look for a new nook to squeeze one in.
Profession updates in the content update will focus on unique questlines for each of the crafting professions that will allow them to collect a special tool to aid them in their craft. For example, scribes might gain a quill that they can use to create blood contracts that are special inscription items that drains the life of those around them.
The Brawler’s Guild Returns
It seems that in every expansion there’s a time in which the Brawler’s Guild needs to shut its doors in order to train up its combatants. As players get stronger, so must the brawlers. The time is coming for the Brawler’s Guild to return with a few additional changes.
- New Bosses
- Momma Stormstout
- Philip Carter Tracey
- Robe-Robber Robert
- Tidemistress Shellbreaker
- Zaxx Dreadslice
We also wanted to explore the idea of a new questline as related to the Brawler’s Guild. It starts with a murder… and as a member of the Brawler’s Guild you’ll be charged with solving a murder mystery the only way you know how by punching your way to the truth.
Of course, there will also be new rewards to be earned like shirts! So very many shirts. And if you’ve always wanted to ride Bruce around, here’s your chance with the new mount.
Warsong Gulch and Arathi Basin Remastered
Our level designers, artists, and PvP designers have been hard at work remastering both Warsong Gulch and Arathi Basin. As you might expect, while we’re making things look better, we’re also working diligently to maintain the spirit of PvP balance of the original battlegrounds.
For those who have been shy about stepping into a PvP battleground against other players, through the magic of our AI technology currently being used with Islands, you can play through a new brawl against AI opponents.
Character Model Updates
For those who enjoy a green cast to their skin or get a little fury when the moon is full, there are new model updates in the works. Yes, Goblin and Worgen model updates are coming.